Review: The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Friends. I've been waiting for this one to come out. Ruth Ware made a total fangirl out of me from the first 15 pages of The Woman in Cabin 10. From then on, I've purchased each book of hers on release day. Let me just tell you. The Turn of the Key gets 5 stars from me. And, it's really like a 5.5 out of 5.

The reason this book is so good is because you feel like you're in the main character's shoes. Rowan (no spoilers here, okay?) truly bonds with the little girls she is a Nanny for. She has no choice but to bond with the littles and make the best of it all when she's left the day after arriving to this big, locked up, secure, "smart," mansion out in the sticks.

Ruth tells the story using one long letter from jail and a few follow-up letters at the end of the book. You'll forget it's a letter. And, you'll find yourself immersed with Rowan in the dark, drafty hallway when the lights all go out. You'll find yourself wincing as you read about the technology that is not so, "smart," after all. You'll hold your breath as the key turns.

It felt a little bit like a game of Clue was unfolding as I met new characters. I was suspicious of them all, like a true fan of thrillers. But, then there are the girls. They will melt your heart. You'll feel for them. You'll want to look out for them the way she does.

Then, the twist. I mean, I knew it was coming. But, I didn't expect the one that came. And then, like a grand finale, one after another the fireworks started.

I finished this book in my car because I had to step away from it with 10 pages left. I sat in silence for a good 5 minutes when I swiped the last page.

Some books stay with you. This one will.

Thank you to @Netgalley @ruthwarewriter @gallerybooks @pocket_books for this advanced copy. I've never been so excited to tell others about a book they couldn't read yet. I'll have to wait until after release day,  8/6/19 to discuss it with all of my friends. Friends, do yourself a favor and order this one now.  It isn't like other things you've read.

#bookreviews #theturnofthekey #ruthware #thriller #readgoodbooks #ilovepageturners #weekendisbooked #5stars #netgalley #gallerybooks #pocketbooks #sendmeallthebooks #lovetoread #bibliophile #bookworm #readnext #justfinished

No comments:

Post a Comment