Review: Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson

I'm sure that you're wondering how in the world everything I've read lately is worthy of 5 stars. All I can tell you is that, YES, they've all been THAT good. That being said, I've met some phenomenal characters over the last few months. I have been giving books star ratings longer than I have been writing reviews here or on my instagram page. Goodreads is a great resource for keeping track of books and this is my second year using it. I especially like the way you can see your, "year in review." All I can say is that I hope the great books keep finding their way to me :)

Thrillers and mysteries are my jam. So, it's been quite a while since I've read anything else. I do have a few other genres that a few publishers have sent over via NetGalley that I am interested in reading. Many of them have peaked my interest due to recommendations and reviews by many of you, my favorite instagram bookreview friends. I think we are a special kind of species.

Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson was a suspenseful book. It was very different than anything I've read in a while. I quickly found myself pulling for the teenagers at the beginning of the book. The overweight, teenage girl from a lot of money never felt good enough. The dirt poor, teenage boy with the brains with a guitar. Of course, they had a friendship that didn't need defining. Tragedy changes the course of both of their futures at the very start of the book. Secrets they paid their individual prices for as teenagers come back to haunt them years later as adults.

Amy has learned over the years that scuba diving is the only thing that allows her to release the feelings and secrets that haunt her. When she meets someone who says they have information the police may want, you can almost hear a clock ticking in the background. Amy stands to lose everything she has worked so hard and pushed so hard to feel deserving of in this cat and mouse chase.

5 STARS for this one. Joshilyn Jackson is a mastermind, clever, and fast-paced with lots of turns and unexpected details. She didn't forget anything with this one. I made my husband drive everywhere this weekend so that even while we were running errands, I didn't have to miss a beat. I finished this book in 2 days. I hated putting it down last night after reading into the wee hours of the morning but my eyelids couldn't keep up with the pace, and I wanted to treasure the details and not miss a thing.

As always, thank you to @netgalley for an amazing platform where all of my favorite publishers come together and give me the opportunity to do what I love best. And, thank you to @harpercollinsus for sending me this amazing summer read to review. We wouldn't have anything to discuss if it wasn't for @Joshilyn_Jackson and her dedication to building some amazing characters that I felt connected to from the very beginning.  #neverhaveiever #joshilynjackson #summerreads #booked #bibliophile #bookreview #5stars #thriller #bookworm #netgalley #harpercollins #readmorebooks


No comments:

Post a Comment