Review: Beneath The Attic by VC Andrews

I read my first VC Andrews book when I was a teenager. I'd guess I was 16 and I clearly remember it was Flowers in the Attic. Perhaps my love of reading started with VC Andrews. She has a way of roping you in, telling you secrets, and somehow you become so entangled with the characters, you lose all judgement for the decisions they make. Flowers in the Attic is the only book I remember vividly reading from VC Andrews. I am sure I read others, after Flowers in the Attic was so difficult to put down. But, as the years passed and I grew more and more busy with things other than reading, I haven't picked up one of her books since then.

When I saw Beneath the Attic by VC Andrews posted on @netgalley s website, I couldn't believe it. What did this book have to do with the characters from Flowers in the Attic? Was VC Andrews still alive? Had I missed other books she had written in the last few years? Would I even still be interested in her type of writing?

Well, I ravenously finished this book in 2 days. I think that speaks for itself. The book quickly transported me back to imagery akin to the Gatsby days with grandiose staircases and shiny chandeliers. Wealth, prestige, secrets, and desire are all woven into the story with artistry.

In all honesty, the book was predictable for the most part. Until the end. No spoilers here, but as the reader, you will be left hanging. And, you will be so caught up in the oddities and peculiarities of wealth that you won't be concerned that you think you know what is going to happen.

I give this book 5 stars. You don't have to be a fan of VC Andrews to be a fan of this book. Additionally, the book is crafted in such a way that you don't need to know anything about the other books that VC Andrews has written. This is a fantastic summer read. A great distraction and easy to fly through.

A huge thank you to @gallerybooks @netgalley @pocket_books for allowing me to review this amazing book that was ghostwritten by @neidermanandrew . The expected release date will be 8/27/2019.

#netgalley #gallerybooks #pocket_books #andrewneiderman #yournextread #summerreading #suspense #nerdlife #mustlovebooks #readmorebooks #oakcitybooks @oakcitybooks


No comments:

Post a Comment