Book Review: The Giver

 

5 Moving Stars for The Giver by Lois Lowry. Maybe it's only as adults we can look back with wise eyes and understand the required reading of our pasts. My oldest has been assigned The Giver for school, due in January with a book report. He told me after being about 1/4 of the way in that I needed to read it. Recommendations from a middle schooler? OK. This is something I can get behind. It must be REALLY good. I ordered myself a copy. Started it at 9pm Saturday night. I was introduced to the world of Jonas. I slept and had vivid dreams about the book. By noon on Sunday, I was finished with the book. Reeling. My son has a few chapters left. I ordered the rest of the books in the series. THERE IS A SERIES. I'm glad it's required reading. I can't help but think how different the world would be if everyone read it as adults. It's futuristic, it's scary in the way that Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale is scary. Only, everything is perfect. There is no pain. The world is colorless. It's mind-blowing. If you're looking for some required reading to dig up, with some perspective that will have you looking at the autumn leaves and winter snow with new eyes, The Giver is just the book for you. #5stars  #bookreview #thegiver #requiredreading #canwemandatebooks #mandatoryread #eyeopening #lovebooks #loislowry @loislowrywriter

No comments:

Post a Comment