Book Review: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance

 


5 Stars for Hillbilly Elegy by J.D.Vance. 

I am limited unfortunately to the # characters on my instagram review. So, I'll consolidate my review by trying to leave all of the personal ways this book affected me out of the review. 

I am not a hillbilly. But, my ancestors were sharecroppers in NC. Their crops were tobacco and moonshine. I come from a long line of badassery. And, I try to remind myself of that when I feel defeated, underestimated, or not good enough. I remind myself that I am from a long line of people who have done really hard things, lost a lot, and have often been too ashamed to discuss any of it with the likes of me. 

My mother was not a drug addict and my father was not an alcoholic. But, I recall what it was like to have to walk to the barn to use the bathroom. I remember the tub that I used to get bathed in that was moved into the kitchen because we were in a house with no plumbing. I remember how we gathered in 1 room in the back of the house to stay warm because we only had a woodstove in 1 room for heat. I'm white but not a stranger to poverty. 

I love this book. And the vivid imagery and descriptions J.D uses. His Mamaw felt like home to me. And, it's amazing how words and memories can do that to us, isn't it? This book was heavy. But, isn't that where the power is? 

Dare I say, our country needs a leader like J.D. Vance. An overcomer. Someone who knows what it feels like to scrape by only by the edge of his teeth and the kindness of those who saw something special in him. This is not a political message. It's a 5 Star review from a white girl who grew up with challenges, and because of the grit and persistence of my family, and countless teachers, mentors, and application approvers along the way, is reviewing a book that I read for FUN. 

I could write an essay response to Hillbilly Elegy. It was personal, it was uplifting, and is going to sit with me for a bit. I try to take a break from my thrillers and mysteries from time to time to sit with a powerful work of nonfiction. This was one of those. 

#5stars #bookreview #addittothelist #nonfiction #hillbilly #hillbillyelegy #overcome #grittybook #5starmemoir #roots #wings #mamaw #readgoodbooks #stretchyourmind #empathy #compassion #poignantread #greatbook 

No comments:

Post a Comment