Review: The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert

The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert is not something I would typically pick up and read. However, I am fortunate enough to be part of a whiz-bang book club of pretty amazing women and, this was the book for August. If you host, you pick the title. I was hopeful it would be available on Overdrive to download from the library but had to resort to a 3D copy. This meant that I couldn't inhale the book, as I typically do for book club, writing, scribbling, highlighting and dog-earring every single passage that struck me. So, I opted for post-its. I actually liked this book so much that I bought a copy of it and will be transferring my trusted stickies over prior to sending my borrowed library copy back.

I gave this book 5 stars. It's exactly what you would assume it's about. The end of all end for us. Doom and gloom. No parts hope. All parts destruction. But, each chapter provides examples of disappearing species, most of which I had never heard about before this book. Additionally, I learned of faraway places that I'd love to one day visit, seeing these places described in great detail, with historical meaning.

I feel like this is a very thought-provoking and discussion-driving read. This book will forever hold a place on my shelf, out of respect and out of distinction. Just as everyone needs a good Field Guide to Birds Reference, everyone needs a copy of the Sixth Extinction.

Special thanks to my local library for hooking me up and always being a place of refuge, inspiration, and hope. Libraries change the world.

#SixthExtinction #ElizabethKolbert #globalwarming #oceanacidification #readtounderstand #bookworm #nerdlife #backtomythrillernow

No comments:

Post a Comment