Book Review: Nomadland by Jessica Bruder

5 fascinating stars for Nomadland by @thatjess Jessica Bruder. I picked this book up at Costco. It was originally published in 2017 and quite an interesting read after just finishing Four Winds by Kristin Hannah and reading about "Okies," "Wanderers," and people living out of tents and in their cars, on sites all across the midwest in a fictional world based on true events during the 1930s.

Let's be honest, some days in the corporate world, I feel like I'm one email away from going to live in a van down by the river. I have days where I dream of living off the grid, in the wilderness with my husband, my kids, and our poodle. So, this book caught my eye. I wanted to learn...and to get an honest glimpse into understanding what the final straws are for many, currently living a nomadic life. 

Nomadland paints a picture of a subculture that has existed in the US for many years and is written with empathy by someone who wasn't looking to write an article and walk away. This book was written by someone who wanted to understand the life, the culture, the people, by walking in their shoes, and for that I am thankful. I know the amazing people mentioned in the book are also grateful to have their stories told by someone who looked them in the eye and cared to listen. 

I cannot help but wonder about the impact of Covid-19 on the # of nomads, wanderers, and vanilies that now exist that didn't exist before. I wonder about the shift in demographics of the "newer" nomads- both people choosing to leave everything behind and those forced. 

Nomadland is filled to the brim with wisdom. With stories of courage and grit that we can only hope we all witness in others in this life we are all passing through. As I had hoped, it does appear to be freeing to get rid of all the "stuff," and all the expectations. And, although I'll wake up tomorrow and log in to my computer, check emails and attend conference calls while virtual learning goes on downstairs, I was able to escape between the pages of Nomadland and understand a rapidly growing subculture in the United States thanks to this book. And, for that I am forever thankful. 

#nomads #nomadliving #vanily #grit #5stars #camping #gypsyreader #greatread #subcultures #choosehappy #readhappy #readtounderstand #bookreviews #sendmebooks #lovedoes #listentooneanother #peacelovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment