Book Review: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

 

5 Stars for The Nightingale by @kristinhannahauthor. This one was heavy. I try to limit my "heavy," reads to a handful a year. It's hard for me to shake off books like The Nightingale and just pick up my next read. This book was originally published in 2015 so I'm behind the rest of the world in the captivating story of two sisters growing up and coming of age in the middle of the Holocaust in France. 

 The Nightingale is an inspirational and heartbreaking story of resilience and fortitude. It is about powerful "quiet," women, of  the will to keep fighting, and relentlessly moving forward. It is a story that will never get old because the themes, good and the bad, are evergreen. 

The depths of hopelessness, disregard for human life, devastation, and brutality were difficult to stomach and feel, and they were very thick themes in the book. Unfortunately, I feel they are necessary because I believe it is the only way to even paint a fraction of how awful that time truly was on the timeline of humanity. 

In my humble opinion, this novel should be required reading. It's moving. Pivotal. It transcends space, time, and has the power to reach right into the depths of your soul and connect you with characters who will stay with you. I will carry Isabelle and Vianne with me for a very long time and this book will always have a home on my bookshelf. 

#historicalfiction #5stars #journalaboutreading #instabook #instaread #highlyrecommendedread #thenightingale #mustread #heavybook #readtolive #livetoread #bibliophile #sendmebooks #tearjerker #greatbook

No comments:

Post a Comment