Book Review: A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith

5 Stars for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. I've been meaning to read this gem for quite some time. Set in the early 1900s, Brooklyn, this book was a true treasure. I thought that I had previously read the book when I was younger, either because it was required or because as a pre-teen and teen, I wasn't allowed to do much and read everything at that time I could get my hands on.

As I do when I read most books, I highlighted parts that were especially beautiful to me. At least every other page has some evidence of meaning to me, which is pretty significant considering there are 498 pages in the version I read.

I don't know if I can put my finger on the one thing that I loved the most about the book. If I had to identify one thing that resonated the most with me, I'd say it was the way Betty Smith wrote about the differences among different classes of people. The way she painted her life, and what it meant growing up and coming of age in Brooklyn being poor was really moving. She wove that thread throughout the entire book and a lot of her upbringing and coming of age I could relate to.

I also really loved the way that she focused on the impact of education and the perseverance, grit, and ability to find happiness despite the cards life dealt to the Nolan family.

It's interesting and humbling to think about how different life is now than it was then. The things and luxuries that we take for granted are pivotal to think about when reading this book.

I'm not sure there are books written this way anymore. And, it's a shame. I found A Tree Grows in Brooklyn to be refreshing and thought-provoking. Times in the book were so difficult and people had so much less. This book will remain high on my list of most adored books. If you haven't read it, I highly suggest it.  #atreegrowsinbrooklyn #brooklynbooks #loveabook #historicny #comingofage #5stars #bookreview #permabound #usedbook #booknerd #bookaholic #bookish #weekendwasbooked #booklover #classic #top10 #greatbook #bettysmith #readnext #maketimeforthingsyouenjoy #grit

No comments:

Post a Comment