Book Review: Our Country Friends by Gary Shteyngart

Y'all. I just couldn't finish this one, after it has received great reviews and has been placed in all the prominent places in my local bookstore and all over my bookstagram feed. I wanted to love this one, as this was my first pandemic read, a book truly capturing the pandemic with a new perspective. I found that I was bored at the beginning and middle by the way upper class folks must be coping with their difficult, privileged lives. I think we can all relate to stocking up on the spirits, crackers, and sequestering ourselves away from civilization. But, I don't know any one that has bungalows and invited their friends over to live in them, secluded and enjoying the high life for months on end. That being said, maybe I'm overly sensitive to the romanticism that I felt when reading this, page after page. It got to be too much and I wanted to feel and see some of myself and my experiences in the book. This book was not for me, and I have so many books lined up waiting, that it's time for me to move on to the next bouquet of words. #3stars #couldntfinish #ourcountryfriends #reallytried #betterlucknextbook #bookreviews #honest #everyonegetsanopinion

No comments:

Post a Comment