Book Review: You and Me and Us by Alison Hammer Release Date 4/7/2020

5 Stars for You and Me and Us by Alison Hammer!

I requested this book on Netgalley as something atypical of books I usually request. Most of you know I am happiest when I'm up to my earlobes in thrillers and suspense. Every few books, I like to spin the wheel and try something different.

You and Me and Us is one of those books that will set you back a bit. By that, I mean you find yourself slowly enjoying it rather than racing to the end. I'd say that if I recently lost a loved one to cancer, this book would probably wreck me in ways that only words can. On the flip side of that, Alison writes in such a way that you cannot imagine she would be able to without the story and the characters being real.

Tommy and Alexis are in their middle years, raising a teenage daughter and dealing with the juggling work, careers, life, and love like so many of us. Working late hours and rushing around to extra curricular activities and family obligations while trying to give ourselves 100% for work is a battle I relate to in a profound way. A terminal cancer diagnosis forces them to focus on what matters and deal the best they can with the time they have left.

I kept all of my emotions in check until the end, of course. I found myself openly weeping while cooking dinner at the inevitable ending. I highly recommend this one. I think Alison does a phenomenal job of communicating such powerful messages and experiences in so few pages. Unfortunately, death is one of those evergreen fabrics that weaves itself into the threads of all of our lives. I feel like I met some realistic characters and was deeply touched by the lives of Tommy, Alexis, and CeCe.

Thank you to @Netgalley, @harpercollins and @thishammer for the opportunity to get my hands on this one before the rest of the world. I think we're all a little more sensitive these days, it's the perfect time to read such a thought-provoking and lovely book. #readgoodbooks #5stars #bookreview #bookblog #bookstagram #readtoescape #coronareading #netgalley #harpercollins #readgoodbooks #loveawriter #readingismyjam #passionatelyread #lookingforareadingpartner #booksconnectus #readtoconnect #stayhomeandread

No comments:

Post a Comment