Book Review: Death on Tuckernuck by Francine Mathews Released on 4/7/20

2 Stars for Death on Tuckernuck by Francine Mathews.
The perfect storm is moving in on Tuckernuck. A Nor'easter is headed straight for Tuckernuck, the private island off of Nantucket where the police only set foot on it if called to a crime or accident scene.

One of the town's police officers has planned her wedding for the weekend, feeling it was the perfect time of year, historically slow and predictable for the rest of the force.

Three people are out on a yacht, one is jealous. One ends up dead. They talk about a secret, and what, "she," knows.

A man and his daughter are caretakers of the island. They make a living by seeing to the homes in the off season and during storms. They board up the homes, they carry the domestic trash off the island, and they run supplies to the residents from mainland when the island is hopping with vacationers, honeymooners, and families with a history of residence on the island.

Somewhere along the line, all of these lives are going to intersect. To be honest, I can't tell you more because by page 20, there were at LEAST 20 people introduced in the book. People on the police force, family members involved in the wedding plan, people from the island that are out of their nursing home for time on the island, the 3 people on the yacht. It went on and on. As a distracted reader right now, it's difficult for me to get consumed by books that begin this way. Give me a handful of characters at the beginning, show me their lives, shape them for me without introducing all of the people from their extended family.

Thanks to @soho_press for granting my wish to read this one. I didn't realize that Francine Mathews writes additional books that are part of this series. I think it probably is okay as a standalone for those who can follow all of the multiple characters, for me I give it 2 stars. Something was building, but by no means was I sucked in to the island or invested in the all of the people Francine was introducing me to.

#couldntfinish #2stars #disappointed #betterlucknextbook #cantlovethemall #distractedreader #bookreviews #sendmebooks #readmore #igreads #booklife #weekendisbooked #bookstagram #bookcommunity #booklover #thatbooklife #bookeater

No comments:

Post a Comment