Review: The Testaments by Margaret Atwood


It's so bittersweet to finally be writing a review for The Testaments. I read The Handmaid's Tale earlier this year at the urging of a few members of my mom-tribe. I don't typically read dystopian novels. It takes a lot for me to really dive into them and see what the writer sees. Not the Handmaid's Tale.

Like readers who first read The Handmaid's Tale over 30 years ago, I was stuck with the image of June getting into that car, not knowing if she was going to live or die. Not knowing what was going to happen to her two girls, to Luke. After growing to love her, feeling caught in all of the wrongdoings of Gilead with her, I had to wait. I'm glad I didn't have to wait 30 years, like others.

I pre-ordered The Testaments from Amazon on April 29th.  The wait until September seemed brutal.

5 stars. This 5 stars is an easy 5 for me. Everything else should be 4s. My new explanation of 5 stars should be "The Testaments." Why? Well, I was concerned when I realized the narrator was not June. I worried that I wasn't going to find out the answers to my questions. I still have a few about Luke, Moira, and Nick. Did I miss something with those?

On the other hand, Atwood's writing was superb. Her ability to transcend the 30 years and take us right back to the Marthas, Commanders, Aunt Lydia, and the Aunts without skipping a beat or changing tone is truly unreal. I read a LOT of books. I am always willing to try new writers. But, after reading the way Atwood writes, it is not an exaggeration to say that very few people can write like Atwood. The vocabulary used in her novels is so descriptive, so unusual and fresh, it feels like you're reading something both ancient and futuristic.

This book was suspenseful and packed with details. In the afterward, Margaret writes about how she wrote The Testaments in many different places. I just don't know how she did it. Did she work from the ending she wanted, backwards? Did she write all of Aunt Lydia's chapters first and then go back to the other narrators? I mean, it was seamless. It was genius. And, in my opinion it's one that you should have a 3D copy of that you can own and possess. It's a book of a different kind. It's rich with quotes that you'll want to highlight and reflect on, and one to pick up again in a few years.

5 stars to Margaret Atwood! Thank you @MargaretAtwood, for doing justice for the women of Gilead. by writing through their voices and their eyes. Remarkable! And, can we talk about the power of the book jacket? I didn't notice the back until I was about halfway through it. Beautiful, cover to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment