Review: Fish In A Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

Fish In A Tree gets 5 stars from me. This book caught me off guard. I reached out to my son's 4th grade teacher to tell her I was excited to read books with him this year. She said they were reading Fish In A Tree in class and sent me some discussion questions for he and I to discuss at home. I don't know what I was expecting, exactly.

I read this book in 2 sittings. It was 290 pages, and they surprised me how fast they flew by. Lynda Mullaly Hunt really built some great characters and the narrator, Ally is a gem. I think the conflict and cornerstones in the book that Lynda weaves in are evergreen. We've all been there, we all wish from one time to another that we could be seen for our intent and our hearts, our drive and our perseverance. So many times, we aren't. So many times we are seen and see ourselves as failures. As an adult, I would argue that many of those things don't change, we just learn to focus on the positives that we have and surround ourselves with those who see them as well. We find our own team of misfits that suit us just fine, and strengthen us.

I was overwhelmed and fell in love with the metaphors and similes in this book. It was packed full of humor and emotion, written through the eyes of a child struggling with dyslexia. Written with the heart of someone who is able to see others for their strengths and understands the significance that our greatest teachers, leaders, employers, and friends are able to do the same. How much better this world would be if we all were gifted with teachers like Mr. Daniels.

I also felt connected to Ally in the way she missed her father and grandfather and also feel like it's great that she carried so much of his wisdom with her. And, I cherished the relationship she had with her brother and their limitless belief in each other's ability to overcome challenges and encourage each other.

This book is a must-read. For teachers. For children. For moms and dads. It's refreshing to read a book for a change that is not based on magic, myth, or fantasy for children. It's well-crafted and special and I'd love to know your thoughts.

A special thanks goes out to my son's teacher. To all the teachers. Who give so much of the praise-worthy things we cannot touch or measure.

#fishinatree #lyndamullalyhunt @lyndamullalyhunt #mustread #loveabook #readdifferently #differentways #quickread #cantputdown #teacherlove #grow

No comments:

Post a Comment